Monday, July 12, 2010

Chicken with Okra and Tomatoes

Chicken with Okra and Tomatoes

This was a big hit with my guys, both went back for seconds and there were no leftovers.  I did not take time for a photo.  I will make it again at update this post with a photo - if I can get more okra at next week's Farmer's Market.

8 boneless chicken thighs (I usually use bone-in, but was short on cooking time)
1 pound okra, tops removed and sliced into rounds
1 onion, diced
1 can diced tomatoes
oregano
parsley
cayenne
salt & pepper
olive oil
1 cup rice, cooked (white or brown)

Heat skillet with a little olive oil, add okra and stir occasionally over medium-low heat.  Cook until it no longer makes strings when you stir.  Add onions, cook until translucent and soft.  Add tomatoes and heat through. Add seasonings to taste.

In a deeper pan with a lid, brown chicken in olive oil.  When chicken no longer appears pink, add okra mixture.  Cover and simmer at low heat until okra gets to desired consistency (I don't like it too mushy)

Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment